Blog

The Rest is History: Dr. Phillips Citrus Grove

Share

Above: Dr. Phillips Citrus Grove, circa 1940

The Dr. Phillips name can be seen throughout Central Florida – from a performing arts center to a hospital. However, when Dr. Philip Phillips first arrived in 1874, his focus was on the citrus industry. Creating a patented innovation called “flash” pasteurization, he was the first to successfully can juice without the metallic taste that was the hallmark of earlier canning processes. Today, the land that was once covered in one of his citrus groves on the west side of Apopka-Vineland Road now sits under the homes of the residents in the Citrus Chase residential development.

1408.Citrus Chase-9875

 Citrus Chase residential development, today

About the author

i4admin

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment