Summer has arrived in Florida, and while the temperatures may be changing, office wardrobe etiquette is not. Though it may be tempting to translate the laid-back summer attitude to your look, business is still business, and professionalism is a must. Though office attire will vary by industry and culture, here are a few dos and don’ts when it comes to dressing for the summer months in the office.
- Flip-flops or sandals
- Sheer fabrics
- Untucked shirts
- Hats/baseball caps
- Sunglasses on head
- Brighter colors
- Lighter fabrics
- Stay cool but “skin appropriate”
- Men: Short-sleeve dress shirts
- Women: sleeveless dresses
- Layer up – don a cardigan or blazer while in the office that can be easily removed when you step outside.
- Keep beach/casual clothes in the car or in a gym bag to change into when leaving the office.
- Follow the “‘If I have to think about it, then it is probably not appropriate” rule, and err on the side of being conservative.
- Opt for natural fibers, which are more breathable, over synthetic fibers.
- Choose patterns which hide sweat better than solids.